Put on prednisone therapy
Andrew Johnson
2003-07-11 19:41:58 UTC
It's not uncommon for moderate to severe asthmatics (like myself) who have
been prescribed prednisolone tablets of varying strength (5mg to 25mg)
during their course of their treatment for asthma.

I would hope that your Doctor informed you of the (possible) side effects
(like most steriods) to weaken bones that may excerberate osteoporis!

Usually the course last for around a week at which point my asthma is at a
manageable level.

The trick is not too get too dependant on them as from experience they tend
to give welcome relief from a sustained prolonged attack which is most
welcome when you're trying to sleep. In most instances I've been given the
tablets on my unfortunate though now (thank god) infrequent visits to the
hospital.

ANdy
I forgot to mention he put me on an antibiotic too (2 the 1st day 1 for 4
days.
Jim
Health Reclaimed
2003-09-06 02:43:25 UTC
Have you considered a nutritional approach? There are studies available
that show improvement in asthma when glyconutrional products are introduced
into the diet. For information on these products visit
www.haelthandlongevity.info or www.glycoscience.com I have been using these
products for 2 years and have had wonderful results

HealthReclaimed
Jim
RedskinFan
2004-01-02 03:43:49 UTC
Be very careful about stopping prednisone. The reason your doctor gave you decreasing doses is that prednisone must be tapered. I used to suffer from pneumonia like attacks regularly every April and november. I have COPD and am on Oxygen 24/7 at 2 lpm. My doctor used to put me on prednisone for about 10 to 14 days each time with an antibiotic concurrently. My doctor finally turned me over to a pulmonologist who took me off flovent and put me on singulair and Advar 500/50. i have not had an attack in a year and a half. I am also on atrovent, albuterol, and theophylline.
Please, do not stop taking the prednisone suddenly. You must consult your doctor to be tapered.

Norton Smiley