HELP! Trying to choose an oxygen concentrator
JasF
2004-02-26 04:49:54 UTC
Hi:

I am in the process of trying to choose an oxygen concentrator for my
mother
(who is 80 years old). Her blood oxygen level is much too low, and so
she
is going to need to use the concentrator continually. We will be
buying the
concentrator in the US, but my mother lives in Europe, far from any of
the
manufacturers (and far from any warranty service locations). This
means that
long-term dependability and reliability is at a premium. My mother
lives in
a multi-story house, so portability (up and down stairs) is also a
premium
consideration.

OK, my specific questions:

1. We would like to know about the concentrator that can be adapted to
fill
oxygen cylinders in your home. If anybody had experience with two
kinds: 1)
Chad's "O2 total system" and Invacare's "The Home fill system". How
easy are they to operate? How reliable are there? Do they break often?
Do they
fill O2 cylinders properly? Does it take forever to fill the M6 and M9
cylinders? Are they very noisy and do they use a lot of power?

2. We are also interested in the portable concentrator AirSep's
LifeStyle™. We
want to know if it can be used every day for 10-12 hours, if anybody
had
experience with that. Is it reliable and does it break easily?

3. The third kind we are interested in is relatively light
concentrator
Excel™ by Oxlife, Inc., (28 lbs) We have the same concerns as above.
We also wonder if it is as good as the much heavier version (54-56
lbs).

4. The same questions we have for Sunrise DeVilbiss type.

5. Finally, if anyone can make any suggestions about a good place to
buy
one of these, it would be helpful. This purchase
will NOT be covered by insurance in any way, so price is obviously
important.

Any help anyone can offer would be VERY GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jasna
GB
2004-02-26 18:48:18 UTC
Post by JasF
I am in the process of trying to choose an oxygen concentrator for my
mother
snip
Post by JasF
This
means that
long-term dependability and reliability is at a premium. My mother
lives in
a multi-story house, so portability (up and down stairs) is also a
premium
consideration.
Just a thought - maybe you should buy two - one for upstairs and one for
downstairs. Then one could charge up a cylinder whilst the other would be
helping your mum. At the same time you would not be completely stuffed if
one of them breaks.
Anna LeBlanc
2004-02-26 20:40:39 UTC
Jasna,
I spoke to a neighbor who uses an oxygen concentrator. Not much information.
Hers is from AirSep, but it is probably not what you'd call portable. The
model name is New Life Elite. She says it has wheels and could be rolled,
but it is about the size of a small bedside table. Probably not right for
hauling up and down stairs.

She has had no maintenance problems with it.

Anna
Jasna
GOMAN
2004-02-28 09:47:50 UTC
Airsep makes a portable unit but it sounds more like you should use a liquid
O2 device for portability within the house. Of course you can use cylinders
but those cant be easily filled within a home setting. Also might want to
check into a 02 provider in Europe who specializes in Homecare O2.... IMO
its better to rent it then to buy it just because of the service aspect of
the unit, plus supplies and tubing....

GMAN
Post by Anna LeBlanc
[...]
1)
Post by Anna LeBlanc
Chad's "O2 total system" and Invacare's "The Home fill system". How easy are
they to operate? How reliable are there? Do they break often? Do they fill O2
cylinders properly? Does it take forever to fill the M6 and M9 cylinders? Are
they very noisy and do they use a lot of power?
2. We are also interested in the portable concentrator AirSep's
LifeStyleT.
Post by Anna LeBlanc
We want to know if it can be used every day for 10-12 hours, if anybody had
experience with that. Is it reliable and does it break easily?
3. The third kind we are interested in is relatively light concentrator
ExcelT
Jasna
Kris Gainsforth
2004-04-11 15:06:40 UTC
Invacare makes a unit called a HomeFill which connects to their
Platinum5 concentrator and refills specially fitted M6 and M9 tanks,
however, this device is only licenced for use in the US only.

Your best bet is to get a local company to supply the service, espically
with EU rules dealing with medical equipment.