Emphysema?
Alpha
2005-01-09 05:30:51 UTC
My wife sometimes has difficulty breathing and at those periods caught
frequently. No sounds as she breaths. This is not new and two years or more
ago a doctor said it was emphysema. Because she hasn't feeling that bad she
has not paid much attention to it. But lately I noticed she is somewhat
worst. If she takes Benadryl she can breath better. If she takes coffee she
can breath better also. If it was emphysema would these two things help her?
Could it be allergies?

Thank you

Kay
2005-01-09 18:35:20 UTC
I'm no more sure than you are that it is emphysema, but if the doctor
arrived at that conclusion by using X-rays and listening to her chest, he is
probably right. There is no doubt that air conditions, infection, and
allergies could make her breathing worse.
We have a family friend whose father had emphysema so bad he
practically crawled home after work. This friend claims he was cured of his
emphysema by eating JELL-O! It won't hurt. It might work.
Benedryl is nothing to fool around with. It supresses the immune
response in the body...so fighting off colds and flu would not progress as
well when on it. However, if it was a case of not being able to breathe or
taking Benedryl, I'd take the Benedryl too! I hope she isn't taking it all
the time, because it loses its effectiveness in that case and would not be
as helpful when it is really needed.
Bob
2005-01-10 20:26:33 UTC
Post by Alpha
My wife sometimes has difficulty breathing and at those periods caught
frequently. No sounds as she breaths. This is not new and two years or more
ago a doctor said it was emphysema.
Emphysema is usually caused by cigarette smoking although there can be
other causes. Here's a website with some info:
http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35043#whatis
Post by Alpha
Because she hasn't feeling that bad she
has not paid much attention to it. But lately I noticed she is somewhat
worst. If she takes Benadryl she can breath better. If she takes coffee she
can breath better also. If it was emphysema would these two things help her?
Not really. It's bronchitis which is lumped together with emphysema to
be called COPD. Both coffee & Benadryl contain chemicals that cause the
muscle tissue around the small tubes in the lungs (bronchioles) to relax
and let more air through. If she is marginal though from emphysema, it
would seem like it was helping with that, but it's the overall helpful
effect that she sees.
Post by Alpha
Could it be allergies?
They could be involved.
Post by Alpha
Thank you
If she's a smoker, get her to stop before she winds up in the hospital
like I did.

Bob