Detox? A glass of water will do as well
MikeA
2006-01-05 11:35:00 UTC
This article probably will get the health food people all
cheezed up. Well I am used to the many experts who have
said about transfat, butter being good for health (compared to
margarine) etc that I take the "middle road" most times. But
I am quite convince of the cabbage family of vetables being
anti-cancer though.

NEW YEAR DETOX? JUST DRINK A GLASS OF WATER
Body cleansing fads 'waste money'
By Paul Byrne
NEW Year detox treatments are a rip off - a glass of water and an early night work just as well, scientists said yesterday.

Paying to purge the system of the poisons of overindulgence from too much booze or food is big business, with tens of millions spent each year.

But the body can do it by itself. Wearing detox socks and body wraps, or going on a detox diet is just a "waste of money".

Sense About Science, a trust promoting accurate scientific and medical information, insists water and rest do the trick.

Director Tracey Brown said the liver mixes harmful substances with its own chemicals to make a water soluble compound the kidneys can remove.

She said: "The body thus detoxifies itself. The body is rehydrated with ordinary tap water. It is refreshed with a good night's sleep. These processes do not occur more effectively as a result of taking detox tablets, wearing detox socks, having a detox body wrap, eating nettle root extract, drinking herbal infusions or 'oxygenated' water, following a detox diet, or using any of the other products and rituals promoted.

"They waste money and sow confusion about how our bodies, nutrition and chemistry work."

Cambridge-based chemical expert Dr John Emsley said: "Our bodies are very good at eliminating all the nasties we might ingest over the festive season."

And human nutrition expert, Southampton-based Professor Martin Wiseman, added detox fads were an "example of the capacity of people to believe in and pay for magic despite the lack of any sound evidence".

***@mirror.co.uk
source:http://www.mirror.co.uk
---
Mike Ang
www.mikeang.net/light
Ps: at the bottom of the link called "light" you will also come across
2 programs that I recommend and a free organiser that I have been using free for months now. Reason it is great for making notes and getting them organised!
It has hierachy format too, so you can play it in multi-dimensions of sort.
www.mikeang.net/light

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20030501061431L8f2PeV5
Foilcut
2006-01-06 11:13:45 UTC
Only if the water is completely clean and full of minerals and oxygen.
Here in Africa it is not the case.
Post by MikeA
And human nutrition expert, Southampton-based Professor Martin Wiseman,
added detox fads were an "example of the capacity of people to believe in
and pay for magic despite the lack of any sound evidence".
Post by MikeA
source:http://www.mirror.co.uk
---